The Tasmanian Devil On Speed

As I was making another doctor's appointment for my grandfather yesterday I told the receptionist,  

"He'd like to see the new doctor next time if possible."
"No problem," she said, "but may I ask why he wants to switch because she's going to ask me."
"He prefers male doctors.", I said.
( I get it, I prefer to see female nurse practitioners. Gee I come from a sexist family.)
" I understand, it's his choice if he wants to change."

However, that was only part of the reason ny grandfather wanted to switch doctors. He does prefer male doctors but there were other factors. And though I believe in speaking my mind, I also wanted to be tactful. (My family has opinions on my tactfulness but they're WRONG.) Here are the other reasons:

She would make coffee nervous. I leave appointments with my grandfather feeling as if I drank several shots of espresso and I'm not even her patient.

She doesn't give the patient time to answer a question before she asking another.

In other words her bedside manner is lacking. Technically, she's a good doctor. She's intelligent and seems to know her stuff but bless her heart she reminds me of the Tasmanian devil on speed.

So, despite the fact that she's  knowledgeable sometimes it's in the patient's best interest to just make a change.

Comments

  1. I've never had a hopped up doc. I have an aversion from overly hoppy/happy people. I'd switch too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's just so nervous and wired all the time, she's a fairly new doctor. Maybe she'll calm down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably mostly a personality thing, although there is definitely an excessively eager quality to a new doctor, or at least some new doctors. I agree with Robyn about overly happy people. It always seems like they are one stressor away from jumping off a bridge and manically laughing to their tragic death.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, it strokes my ego. Except from the spammers. Spammers bad.

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Love

Liebster Blog Award

A Review ( And Giveaway, Too) of Gaijin Cowgirl by Jame DiBiasio